Erin Malley dances and teaches with her husband Doruk Gölcü. Partners since 2004, they have taught and performed in Istanbul, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and San Francisco.
Current Class Schedule (as of 9/18/14)
Tango Essentials class at La Pista in San Francisco.
- Fridays 7:30-8:30pm class,
- 8:30-10:30pm La Práctica Bailarina
- $10 for class and practica. $5 for practica only.
Every 1st, 2nd & 3rd Friday of the month!
768 Brannan Street, at 7th Street, SOMA
NEW! VALS WORKSHOP: Sunday October 12th - 2-5pm at La Pista
Intro to Vals 2-3pm
Erin & Doruk's Favorite Vals Sequences 3:15-5pm
- First class $15
- Second class $25
- Both classes $30
Known for their musicality, energy and dynamicism, Erin & Doruk are two of the top vals dancers in the Bay Area. Join them on Sunday, October 12th for a vals-specific workshop at La Pista. They will cover basics of vals musicality and share a few of their favorite sequences that you can put to use at your next milonga.
Special events & guest classes around the Bay Area:
- Erin & Doruk will perform new choreography at Cellspace, Wednesday September 24th.
- VALS MUSICALITY WORKSHOP, Sunday, October 12, 2-5pm at La Pista. See above for details
- VALS MUSICALITY WORKSHOP, Wednesday, October 15th, 6-10pm at Alma del Tango in San Anselmo.
- Teaching for Chelsea Eng at City College Wednesday, October 22nd
- Teaching & Performing at La Rusa Milonga, Wednesday October 29th
Currently teaching tango at the Urban School in SF, September & October 2014.
Erin and Doruk are both available for private lessons, private group classes, and performances at private functions. Contact Erin for more information and rates by clicking on the "Connect with me" tab to your left.
Awards and Honors:
- Full-scholarship recipients to Nora's Tango Week 2013
- Semi-finalists in the 2013 ATUSA Competition
We have taught and/or performed at:
- La Pista SF
- Cellspace SF
- Stanford University
- The Beat Berkeley
- Alma Del Tango, San Anselmo
- La Práctica Positiva, Oakland
- Tango Switchcamp SF
- Queertango events in Berkeley
- Twinspace SF
- SF Queertango Festival
- Baila Tango NYC & Istanbul
- Metronome / Milonga Azul SF
- Bailonga SF
- Caffe Trieste SF
- Empire Dance NYC
- South Street Seaport NYC
- Central Park Milonga NYC
- Sweet Inspiration Tango SF
- Oakland International High School
Erin began studying tango to complement her extensive training in contemporary dance and classical ballet, and broaden her skills as a professional choreographer. She studied in New York with Metin Yazir, Jak Karako, Maria Jose and Vanessa Gauch; on the west coast with Pampa Cortes, Gustavo Naveira y Giselle Anne, Ariadna Naveira y Fernando Sanchez, Guillermo Cerneaz y Marina Kenny. She is currently a guest artist with the San Francisco women's company Tango Con*Fusion. An experienced leader and follower, Erin uses her thorough knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics to create and teach beautiful and seemingly effortless tango.
Doruk has started dancing tango in Ankara, Turkey. After moving to the US, he extensively studied with Jak Karako, Metin Yazir, and Vanessa Gauch. He also considers Pampa Cortes, Gustavo Naveira, Giselle Anne, Ariadna Naveira, Fernando Sanchez, and Guillermo Cerneaz his teachers and inspirations. He has danced and taught extensively on both coasts of the US. His dancing is characterized by rhythmic musicality, strong connection to the partner, and creative vocabulary; his teaching focuses on clarity of lead, and structural understanding of the dance.